Sunday, July 6, 2014

Life, The Universe and Personal Aspirations

The SSP core lectures are over. I still don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, they started getting very specific and somewhat repetitive. On the other hand, going to a classroom and being able to absorb more and more space related knowledge is great.
Well, core lectures are over, I've summarized the material, done my final essay exam and now I'm ready for the next stage. We are heading to a two week intensive department activity section. The team project (TP) will still be addressed, but most of the time each SSP participant will be in one of seven departments the program offers. My department is Space Sciences, it was a very close second choice, but as time progresses I'm happier to have been assigned to it. The department activities have already started with discussions ranging from the smallest particles to some of the most peculiar objects out there. And next week is full with various exploratory activities.

The last day of core lectures included three great lectures, the final one was a quick summary of the journey we have taken, it was rightfully named by its lecturer and program director Dr. David Kendall - WHY? The other two lectures are my bread and butter. The first was named "Cosmology: Origin and Fate of the Universe", and was given to us by Prof. Giovanni Fazio. In it he discussed the beautiful way in which the universe is aligned, he elaborated about current state of the universe, its early years and its possible futures. Prof. Fazio also explained that we only know (and barely understand) about five percent of the matter in the universe, so there's a lot of work for anyone interested of being an astrophysicist\cosmologist (this definitely makes me consider a change in field).

Discussing Cosmic Inflation
The second lecture, Astrobiology, was given by Dr. Alain Berinstain. In it he stated the two elements required for life as we know it - liquid water and a source of energy. He mentioned the examples of extraordinary lifeforms on Earth and the resourcefulness of lifeforms in extreme environments. Towards the end of the lecture we discussed finding life elsewhere and Europa came up again as Dr. Berinstian said that life evidence has to be found on Europa, after all it probably has liquid water and an energy source. And if life evidence ins't found where liquid water and energy are abundant then maybe we are alone, and there's nobody out there. On the other hand, we hardly discuss life that might not need liquid water, but another substance, this life would probably be so different than us (even in temperature and pressure requirements). My conclusion on the two requirements for life question (are there only two) is that we should visit Europa's surface and ASAP (as was done with Titan).
I want to mention another issue on the subject of life, after the Drake Equation Fermi's Paradox asks "where is everybody?". And there are several possible answers, most of them in the realm between science and philosophy, some of them with alarming conclusions for mankind, and I hope I'd be able to learn more about them in the future (book recommendations are welcomed).


Two thing I should add before the third part of "Life, The Universe and Personal Aspirations" -
I want to recommend a fellow bloger - Cait Percy is a England based Physics (newly) graduate, she is a SSP14 participant and on the Exoplanet TP with me. I've only had the chance to skim through her blog, but would like to recommend it to anyone looking for another perspective on this summer - 


The other matter is that I want to correct some phrasing issue from former blogs - When referring to star calcification the proper wording is #-type star and not #-class. Or as Prof. Jaymie Matthews said it "M-class is take of from Star Trek"...

So where do I fit in all of it? and where am I going?
These questions have passed through my mind many many times since I've come here. At times I feel very small and incompetent next to some of the giants that roam the history of human space exploration. At other times I am overwhelmed with my ideas and desires to do it all and be involved in everything.
I think I should start with the end goal (and just say it) - I want to be an astronaut! I want to be in the forefront of space exploration. And now, after listening to so many of them here I want it even more than before. I would also like to create cutting edge technologies for 'Life, The Universe and Everything' exploration and I'd like to be a part of this amazing community of people whose sole purpose is to better understand our universe for the good of mankind. Except for that, I really do want to do it all, I want to go on an analogue mission, I want to monitor the skies regularly, I want my computer to help in data processing, I want to join work groups discussion space issues, I really do want to do it all.
Now let's address my wishes. First, I think I apply to be an astronaut, I'll try to discuss the issue with the Israeli Space Agency, and see what their planing for the next Israeli astronaut. I really hope that this time the chosen person will be from the world of scientific research or engineering, such a choice will definitely make its mark on Israeli youth. And maybe if I'm chosen I could be an Israeli second, but a first for another community. In regards to the second goal, working on space exploration technologies, it is obvious to me that I must pursue completing my education, and I have some time until I finish my PhD. But meanwhile I can still make connections and collaborations in and outside Israel, which will also help my understanding of where I want to be. And maybe these connections might help me achieve my prime goal. The third issue seems easiest, but it's actually the most difficult, how do I make the right choice in the vast multiverse of prospectives and opportunities? I know I'll do some, but how to I manage it so the main goals are still met while added value is won? I really don't know right now, and would be happy for advise. Especially on an offer made (kinda) in regards to the The Space Generation Advisory Council, at the moment Israel is not active in this space related student and young professional organization and I'm considering getting into it and creating a network that would support activity in Israel and the up and coming conference in Jerusalem in September 2015 (just before IAC15).

A special happy birthday to the Crab Nebula! It was formed in a supernova on the 4th of July 1054 (at least in our perspective). The explosion the was observed by Chinese astronomers for almost two years in the night sky (in the beginning also during day time). In the center of the nebula there is a rapidly spinning neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetism radiation that to an Earth observer seems like super timely pulses. These stars are actually referred as Pulsars.

Crab Nebula
One last thing, I'm pretty new here in the blogosphere, any input, reference, proposition or free advertising would be much appreciated. Especially ones that could help achieve my goals.

To sum-up this blog I'd like to present what happens when trying to take a picture with a good friend and an adored professor -







1 comment:

  1. You got the pictures now to evolve through the processes!

    Have you come across Prof. Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnett's work on Pulsars? She discovered them, someone else got the credit and consequently the Nobel Prize, (for her discovery.) You might find her work interesting. I had the honour of attending one of her talks about three years ago on the subject of the universe and pulsars.

    ReplyDelete